🐦 6 Types of Tweets
The tweets that make it to my Twitter home screen can be categorized into these six areas.
I am on a plane right now and the internet is broken… so I need to fill my time. That is the real reason behind this post.
So, I have been more active on Twitter for the past six to eight months. In that time, I have noticed a bit of a trend in tweets that I see, be it from people I follow or “viral” tweets.
My totally 💯 super scientific analysis concludes that my Twitter-sphere types 180-240 characters that fall into the following categories (in order of popularity):
Passive Aggressive Complaining
Marketing (self or company)
1. Pontificating Someone knows something, and they are going to tell you what’s up. I’m guilty of writing these tweets and that bothers me. I feel like I want to share things I’ve learned as an entrepreneur, but when I go back to read them, I cringe a bit. I don't know it all, and what worked for me might not work for others.
2. Aggressive Complaining The tweets where someone is “tired of XYZ” and they call it out in a somewhat nonspecific manner. Politics to business, parenting to driving and everything in between. It’s all there. I think people tweet these to reaffirm their position on a subject. It’s nice to see you’re not alone on a worldview. Confirmation bias at its best.
3. Marketing (Self or Business) Thought leaders. You know what I mean. Men and women sharing their thoughts. Building that trust. Growing that personal brand. Rocking those FB pixels when you visit their articles. Eventually, trying to sell you stuff. Nothing inherently bad here. I even find the content enjoyable from time to time.
4. Aggressive Complaining Directly calling someone out. Using profanity at times, but not always. People type out platitudes at one another. Arguments ensue. I mute these if they come up too often from someone. Ain’t nobody got time for that.
5. Humorous Sort of rare now, which is a shame because they are my favorite. I’m a sucker for a perfectly timed meme or snarky remark. Like this one…
6. Life Updates What the FB status feature used to be. I like these too. They are inherently friendly. Sharing pieces of life makes me feel like I get to know someone on a different level. Unfortunately, these are often “humble brags” in disguise.
👋 Did you like this?
Get future posts sent to your inbox.